[BLDG-SIM] hornets nest?

Mark Mullins Mmullins at hecenergy.com
Mon Jan 31 12:38:46 PST 2000

I agree with Mr. Hall's assessment that improving DOE-2.2's present HVAC components should be higher on the priority list than developing an entirely new simulation package.  I would add that the front end also needs to be improved in order to make the model input process more intuitive than at present; this would reduce the high cost of inputing the model.  A good CAD to DOE conversion package wouldn't hurt either.  Certainly it will be years before Energyplus will be available and useful to a wide audience.  If DOE-2.2 is to be truly useful and attractive to energy modelers and designers soon, the HVAC components and the front end need to be improved.  These two items should be the priorities.

DOE-2.2, the most promising simulation package currently available, has made significant gains in recent years due to excellent work by the program developers.  However, it is still an onerous and costly program to use and requires a high level of modeling expertise, primarily because it lacks the HVAC features outlined by Mr. Hall and subsequently requires many hours of a senior engineer.  For example, if the typical engineer can't model a DX VAV system with standard boxes on the interior and fan-powered boxes with reheat coils on the perimeter (perhaps the most common system in new buildings today), the engineer is not going to use the simulation package, end of story.  Most engineers wouldn't care if you could use 'tricks' to model the system; these are simply difficult and time-consuming tasks not worth the cost.

DOE-2.2 is not that far away from being a great program that could be used and understood by many more good engineers.  I look forward to the developement of these important improvements.

Mark J. Mullins
Project Engineer
HEC Energy & Design Services, Inc.
24 Prime Parkway