[BLDG-SIM] hornets nest?

Spurlock, R. Bruce RBSPURLO at southernco.com
Mon Jan 31 07:37:00 PST 2000

I agree with Dan on the complexity of skin load calculations especially when
the internal gains are the driving
force in Heating and Cooling.  From a Electric Utility prospective,  a
powerful Hvac simulation is more important
than putting all that horsepower on the skin of the building.
Looking at our commercial customers, 80% of them are 200kw and under, so a
scaled down simulation
will do the job for most Energy Analysis or audits. We cannot spend
thousands of dollars performing
an energy audit on a "Mom and Pop"  grocery store. Since there is no profit
for an Engineer to
do these small jobs we do them,  with a trade off for good results vs time
spent on the job.
Our company performed 8,000 audits last year with a simple tool like
MicroAXCESS and
investigating the end result,  they were very reasonable -- not totally
accurate but good.

On large jobs we use better tools and also spent more time and effort.

Bruce  Spurlock
Southern Company Services, Inc.
Atlanta