[BLDG-SIM] Defining a chiller size and E-I-R in DOE-2.1E

Aulbach, John JAulbach at semprasolutions.com
Fri Jun 15 14:02:55 PDT 2001

I don't currently have a DOE-2 Engineering Document, so this question is
posed to the DOE "gods and gurus":

There are three curves that modify the (capacity)/(part load
ratio)/(electric input ratio) in DOE-2 (or PowerDOE or eQuest) of a chiller
(let's use a hermetic centrifugal chiller for this example).  Within PLANT,
there is a place to insert a "nominal capacity" and an "electric input
ratio".

The question is, whatever I put into these input slots represent what? ARI
conditions? 100% design?

And then the three curves modify these vs. load, entering condenser water,
and exiting chilled water. So the 100% point is what (full load, 44 DegF CHW
leaving, and 85 DegF Condens.water entering?

John R. Aulbach, PE, CEM
Project Engineer
Sempra Energy Solutions
555 West Fifth Street
Mail Location 27F3
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Tel :(213) 244-8551 Beeper (888) 520-1051

"Sempra Energy Solutions is not the same company as SDG&E/ SoCalGas, the
Utilities.  Sempra Energy Solutions is not regulated by the California
Public Utilities Commission, and you do not have to buy Sempra Energy
Solutions products or services to continue to receive quality regulated
service from the Utilities."