[bldg-sim] Data source for cold water inlet temperatures

Alex B. Lekov ABLekov at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 23 14:52:36 PST 2002

Jason,

1) National Well Water Association publishes annual average groundwater
temperatures for the various regions in the country.
2) see also Labs, K.,  Underground building Climate. Solar Age, 1979.
4(10),p.44-50.
He recommends to add two degrees to NOAA average annual outside air
temperature to calculate the inlet water temperature. The comparison
showed that in the majority of cases, the inlet water temperature
averages 2deg F  warmer than the outside air temperature.

Alex Lekov

Jason Glazer wrote:

> I'm looking for a data source for typical inlet water
> temperatures (water main temperature) for residential
> service water heaters for locations in the United States.
> This is roughly equivalent to the ground temperature at 6
> to 8 feet depth. The temperature varies seasonally so
> knowing the average monthly value would be best.
>
> I am already aware of two sources of data that don't really
> help: Engineering Weather Data from NCDC has the 50 ft
> temperature and the map in the old ASHRAE Load Calculation
> Manual is for depths of 4 inches.
>
> Any leads would be appreciated.
>
> Jason

> Jason Glazer, P.E.  mailto:jglazer at gard.com  847 698 5686
> GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
> 1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
> Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
> Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users

**** This is intended for the addressee only and may contain
confidential business information. It may not be copied without our
permission. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender as soon as possible and delete the material from any computer.
****