[BLDG-SIM] Buiding Management System Issues

Daniel Birleanu dbirleanu at ers-inc.com
Mon Oct 14 11:46:21 PDT 2002

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan Birleanu and I'm working on a project for an three stories
office building. To model this building I'm using VisualDOE.

This is a new construction and in the Base Case the building is heated and
cooled with Packaged Terminal Air Conditioning units. As VisualDOE doesn't
have an option for Packaged Terminal Heat Pump units, I have used the PTAC
template. For heating I selected an electric heat pump with supplementary
electric heating. To simulate the fans, I selected "Include in EER/COP"
method and I declared the EER and COP inputs.

For schedules, I assumed constant heating (70F) and cooling (72F)
temperatures, 24/7. I let the software to switch between heating and cooling
seasons. There is no seasonal schedules for heating or cooling.

One of the measures that we are proposing is a Building Management System
which will tide up all PTAC units under a central system. Could you please
give me some ideas how to do that? I tried to simulate that by changing the
heating and cooling temperature schedules, but the results are not
satisfactory. I declared new setback and setforward temperatures and also
different schedules for weekend days and holidays. The saving are too low.

Should I consider something else too?

Thank you,
Dan

Dan Birleanu