[BLDG-SIM] "Cool Roofing"

Wade McLaughlin wmclaughlin at dmiinc.com
Mon Oct 7 10:55:11 PDT 2002

Has anyone had any success modeling cool roofing options (i.e. reflective or light colored surfaces) in PowerDOE?  So far, I have seen negligible results from the adjustment of roof construction absorptance values (emissivity is also known to play a role, but there is no input for this in PowerDOE).  I have seen data showing cooling energy savings from 0.06 to 0.54 kWh/sqft/yr, depending on building type.  I am getting only a very small fraction of this.  Data collected in the study was from facilities in the southern and western US, and I work primarily on buildings in the Northeast.

My questions:
How well can I expect PowerDOE to simulate this?  Is there a better way to simulate cool roofing?  Is the sun simply too low in the sky in New England to yield substantial savings?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Wade McLaughlin
DMI
450 Lexington St.