[BLDG-SIM] "Cool Roofing"

John Porterfield jmporterfield at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 7 17:37:51 PDT 2002

All -

have a tremendously positive impact . . . but that is another issue.'

Recent addition of Energy Code (IECC2000) to Chicago Building Code was
supplemented with reflective roofing requirement.  Please let me know if
other jurisdictions similarly target urban heat island effect through their
Code.  Codes ordinarily do not address exterior surface optical properties.
The purpose of the Chicago Code extends to 'promote public welfare' in
addition to the usual 'protect life / health / safety.'
See < http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Buildings/BuildingCode/roofreflect.html >

John Porterfield
Community Energy Cooperative
2125 W. North Ave.
Chicago, IL  60647
773-486-7600  x-189 fax 773-486-7643
www.energycooperative.org
JohnP at energycooperative.org

Action springs from love or fear; as we choose, love.