[BLDG-SIM] Simulating in-suite HRV's on FC type systems using eQUEST

Aulbach, John JAulbach at semprasolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 13:25:57 PST 2003

Brian:

I was taught a trick by an old dog, Mr.. Bruce Birdsall of Lawrence Berkeley
Labs, who was in on the original creation of DOE-2. along with Fred
Winkleman, Jeff Hirsch, and Fred Buhl. HELLO to all of these people.

Bruce told me to use an induction system in the guest rooms (I was heavily
into Hilton Hotels at the time). Such a system allowed primary and secondary
heating and cooling coils, and by using  the bypass ratio, allowed outside
air to entrain. I don't have time to research the exact bypass ration, or
all the stuff I did (it was in DOE-2.1C version).

But that would allow you to use outside air with virtually a fan coil
system, either two or four pipe. Then the corridor air is on it's own loads
and system.

Try it.