[BLDG-SIM] Increased R value Credit for Concrete and Themal Massing

Habaza11 at cs.com Habaza11 at cs.com
Fri Dec 5 17:38:19 PST 2003

My Ph.D thesis " An Integrated Design and Control Strategy for Energy
Efficient Buildings, April 2002" discussed the relations between thermal mass "
sensible and latent thermal mass", thermal insulation, solar radiation, and
controlled natural ventilation. In this research I used Energy-Plus to test a house
very similar to steve's house in Blacksburg, Virginia. The house was designed
and built by Professor Yvan Beliveau (Virginia Tech.). I also collected field
data for the house.
In summary, Internal thermal mass is a heat storage. If free heat source (or
cooling source) is available, e.g from windows during warm days in winter or
ventilation during cool nights in summer, then, thermal mass is useful. But if
no free heat source is available, then, thermal mass may hurt since it will
store the heat from the active heating or cooling system, especially when using
more than one temperature set point for the active air conditioning.
The other half of the story, which is utilizing the latent thermal mass, is
introduced and  thoroughly investigated for the first time in this research. I
can e-mail this thesis in PDF file to any one who is interested in this
subject.
Hussein. Abaza
Assistant Professor
East Carolina University