[BLDG-SIM] Increased R value Credit for Concrete and Themal Massing

Curtis Pedersen cpederse at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 2 11:21:41 PST 2003

Dave:

This concept falls into the "cheater" category.  What happens is that
the proponents of heavy construction elements show that the steady
periodic behavior of a heavy structure, at some well-selected
frequency, is better than the behavior at steady state.  The electrical
analogy would be to replace resistance with capacitive impedance.  Of
course it depends on the frequency, and it is not resistance, so the
steady state (zero frequency) result will be different.

A reasonable building simulation tool properly accounts for both the
capacitance and the resistance of a building element.  The "effective
R" is bogus.

Curtis Pedersen
Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering
University of Illinois