[BLDG-SIM] possible meetings about use of simulation

Les Norford lnorford at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 25 06:26:18 PST 2003

To follow up on notes from Erik Olsen and Harvey Bryan, the International
Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA) is interested in just
the sort of issues about modeling, energy analysis and performance
assessment that have been raised recently in bldg-sim.  IBPSA sponsors
biennial international conferences, the next of which will be in Eindhoven,
Netherlands, August 11-14, 2003.  Information about this and other IBPSA
activities can be found at www.ibpsa.org.

The USA affiliate of IBPSA holds semi-annual meetings, on the Saturday
preceding the national ASHRAE conferences.  The next meeting, listed in the
IBPSA web site, will be in Kansas City on June 28, 2002.  Those interested
in details or in becoming IBPSA-USA members (for which there is no charge
in 2003) should contact the Rick Strand, the IBPSA-USA secretary, at
rkstrand at uiuc.edu.

IBPSA-USA is currently in the early stages of developing PowerPoint
presentation materials about the use of simulation in engineering and
architectural practice.  We hope that these materials, which should be
ready in late spring, will be used at local AIA and ASHRAE meetings and at
other venues, will be a means of promoting increased discussion about and
understanding of the benefits (and difficulties) of using
simulation.  Groups that are interested in seeing this sort of presentation
are invited to contact Rick Strand or me.

Further, we are beginning to think about regional and a national meeting on
the use of simulation.  Very tentatively, we are considering regional
meetings in Boston and Chicago this fall and a national meeting in Boulder
next summer.  The regional meetings would be roughly half-day events,
hosted by local engineering or design firms, to give practitioners
opportunity to talk about successes and problems.  The national meeting
would include presentations, discussions, and software demos.  We invite
expressions of interest in these or similar events.

None of what I've mentioned is intended in any way to detract from the
wonderful bldg-sim discussion.  IBPSA is simply one organization with
similar interests and a willingness to provide venues for sharing ideas.

Les Norford
President, IBPSA-USA