[BLDG-SIM] Admin> Recent Message Cancelled

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Thu Jan 9 13:56:23 PST 2003

Two different messages with the subject line "Introduction
to EnergyPlus for Experienced Modelers" were sent to the
mailing list today but not all people on the mailing list
received the first of the two. The first message contained
a large attachment that caused a problem on the GARD mail
server so it had to be cancelled. The second message was a
response to the first and should have been distributed.
The content without the attachment for the first message is
shown below. If you want the original attachment, please
let me know.

Jason

=========================

Is it possible to attend this seminar without a laptop computer?  How much
time will be spent on the workshops using the laptop?  Does the seminar
room have receptacles for up to 30 laptops or do we have to have enough
battery power for two days?  Is the emphasis of this course on the IDF or
Text editor?  How much time will be spent on graphics I/O (VoloView, DXF)?

My main interest is learning about the engineering scope and alternative
combinations of plant and systems and to find out if the program is ready
to replace DOE2.1E in our office.  The building projects in this office
vary in size from 0.5 to over 2 million square feet. The projects can
consist of multiple buildings with central and distributed plants and
systems for ofice complexes, hotels, college campuses, convention centers,
airports, research labs, hospitals, etc.  Graphical input using AutoCAD is
not practical for such projects since there can be over 100
two-dimensional architectural drawings and the drawings are subject to
frequent revisions.  Is it presently realistic to use EnergyPlus to
describe 20 or more systems with ductwork, piping and equipment?  Can
systems and plant in EnergyPlus be also described the conventional way as
in DOE2.1E?  DOE2.1E presently does not permit duplicate systems using the
LIKE-EXCEPT keywords and this is awkward in desribing floor by floor
systems in a high-rise building.

Attached is a generic building model that I am in the process of
developing for teaching graduate students at IIT-Chicago.  It is based
approximately on one of our previous projects but modified so as to
demonstrate the various types of spaces, zones, systems and plants.  I
will be creating DOE2.1E and TRACE-700 models (input data) of this
building.  I would like to have an EnergyPlus input file (text/BDL) so
that I can use it to study EnergyPlus.  Perhaps Bldg-Sim subscribers would
be interested in developing such examples.  The attached example is still
in a preliminary scrappy phase.  The best EnergyPlus training would be to
have EnergyPlus input files of several buildings that used DOE2.1E.

Varkie Thomas
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill