[BLDG-SIM] Introduction to EnergyPlus for Experienced Modelers

Michael J. Witte mjwitte at gard.com
Thu Jan 9 10:36:52 PST 2003

On 9 Jan 2003, at 12:13, Varkie Thomas wrote:

> Is it possible to attend this seminar without a laptop computer?  How
> much time will be spent on the workshops using the laptop?

Approximately 25% to 30% of the time will be spend on workshops.
Without a laptop, you won't be able to do the workshop problems which
would severely limit the effectiveness of the course.

> Does the seminar room have receptacles for up to 30 laptops or do
> we have to have enough battery power for two days?

There will be power to each table.

> Is the emphasis of this course on the IDF or Text editor?

For the workshops, the IDF editor will be recommended to avoid
problems with typos, but participants will be free to use a text
editor if desired.

> How much time will be spent on graphics I/O (VoloView, DXF)?

Very little.  The dxf output files with the free VoloView express
viewer are a good way to view the building.

> My main interest is learning about the engineering scope and
> alternative combinations of plant and systems and to find out if the
> program is ready to replace DOE2.1E in our office.

The focus of this training course is to introduce users to the
mechanics and fundamentals of using EnergyPlus.  In 2 days, it will
only be possible to scratch the surface on basic HVAC system
descriptions.  Your question would be better answered by reviewing
the Input/Output Reference.

> The building projects in this office vary in size from 0.5 to over
> 2 million square feet. The projects can consist of multiple
> buildings with central and distributed plants and systems for ofice
> complexes, hotels, college campuses, convention centers, airports,
> research labs, hospitals, etc. Graphical input using AutoCAD is not
> practical for such projects since there can be over 100
> two-dimensional architectural drawings and the drawings are subject
> to frequent revisions.  Is it presently realistic to use EnergyPlus
> to describe 20 or more systems with ductwork, piping and equipment?

Graphical input of the building geometry is only an option, not a
requirement.  The current input tools available for EnergyPlus are
the IDF Editor and raw text file editing.  Some users have described
complex buildings using these tools.  Is this approach realistic
within an A/E design environment?  Maybe, maybe not.  For similar
repetitive systems, copy/paste/replace can be quite efficient once
you get used to the input language.  The only way to really answer
this is to invest some time in learning the tool, preparing the input
for some smaller problems, and then evaluating if it will meet your
needs.

>  Can systems and plant in EnergyPlus be also described the
> conventional way as in DOE2.1E?  DOE2.1E presently does not permit
> duplicate systems using the LIKE-EXCEPT keywords and this is
> awkward in desribing floor by floor systems in a high-rise
> building.

EnergyPlus has a limited set of templates to help describe some
common system configurations, and further development of this
approach is planned.  There is no LIKE feature in EnergyPlus.

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support at gard.com