[BLDG-SIM] Calibrated Models

Mark E. Case mcase at etcgrp.com
Wed Mar 12 10:30:33 PST 2003

In Reference to the recent `Weather Normalization Question' discussion line
which evolved into a discussion of calibration, and to many years of
discussions of calibrated modeling, I think perhaps we are lacking a
definition(s) of what a `calibrated' model is. There are many out there but
there are no standard definitions that I've ever seen, beyond `matching
utility bills within x %' that appears in some DSM program guidelines.
I believe this must be done in the context of `What are we going to use the
model for?"  I've seen the term used in reference to everything from
aggregated load research work to the building on the corner that is
considering a HVAC upgrade, from the Texas A&M shoot-out predictive
statistical routines to detailed end-use monitoring and M&V approaches.
Often it is used to as a surrogate for `expensive' or for `high quality'.
Questions that should be answered in a definition:
Calibrated to what standard measure? And why that particular standard?
The entire model or just pieces?
How closely does it have to match the defined standard? Possibly including
various statistical measures.

Mark E. Case, President
etc Group, Inc.
3481 South 2300 East