[BLDG-SIM] Weather Normalization Question

Andrew Holden andrew at heliosltd.com
Mon Mar 10 13:31:26 PST 2003

Hi bldg-sims:

After using DOE modeling tools intermittently now for many years I am now using eQuest and one of its cousins in earnest.  After reading the manuals a couple of things still are not totally evident.

I would like to synchronize the eQuest modeled behavior to the actual utility bills for a given calendar year (so I know I modeled it properly), then apply the 30 year average data to tell me how the building should perform going forwards in a baseline mode and after EEMs are applied.

Am I correct that the only way to do that is to take real weather data from say 2002, use some of the weather utility applications to create a suitable packed format for the DOE-2 engine, run that, make sure it is calibrated properly, then switch the weather data to 30-year data and re-run it.

Do most of you seasoned modelers keep two sets of all your weather data laying around, DOE-2 packed actual yearly data plus the 30 year formats?  Or isn't it worth it?

Also, can I input actual bill histories into eQuest to compare modeled versus actual bills?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew Holden, CEM, LEED
Helios Resources, Ltd.
1883 Old Kimberton Road
Phoenixville, PA 19460
Tel: 610-917-9111
Fax: 610-917-1066
Cell: 484-437-3754
http://www.heliosltd.com
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803-1882