[BLDG-SIM] Major disagreement on Chiller Performance Curves in DOE-2.1E and DOE-2.2

Aulbach, John JAulbach at semprasolutions.com
Wed Oct 15 11:23:26 PDT 2003

I am having a "friendly" disagreement with a colleague on what chiller
curves to ask for from a manufacturer to input into DOE-2 (could be either
2.1E or 2.2). We both agree that the infamous ARI point for a 100% load
should be input. But the curves are where we disagree.

Is the Default DOE-2 curve for % Power versus % Tons the ARI curve with the
allowable reduction in condenser water temperature, or is it based on the
FIXED 85°F entering condenser water and FIXED 44°F leaving chilled water ALL
the way down the curve?

Therefore, when I am given a chiller with a variable speed drive installed,
what parameters should I ask for in such a Power/Tons to be FIXED ???

John R. Aulbach, PE, CEM
Project Engineer
Sempra Energy Solutions
555 West Fifth Street
Mail Location 27F3
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Tel: (213) 244-8551 Cell (213) 219-4875

"Sempra Energy Solutions is not the same company as SDG&E/ SoCalGas, the
Utilities.  Sempra Energy Solutions is not regulated by the California
Public Utilities Commission, and you do not have to buy Sempra Energy
Solutions products or services to continue to receive quality regulated
service from the Utilities."