[BLDG-SIM] Energy-10: Daylight factors don't reflect facade orientation?

Caroline Prochazka cjprocha at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 06:37:40 PDT 2004

I am a graduate student of architecture at the
University of Waterloo. I am using Energy-10, Ecotect
and Desktop Radiance to study the role of daylighting
with respect to heating and cooling energy for two
existing Canadian 'green' buildings. This posting is
only one of my many questions, which recently arose
from closer examination of my models.

ENERGY-10: It seems throughout my studies that the DF%
calculation does not address solar orientation. While
I can't believe this is so, several tests of square
buildings with identical north, east, south and west
walls have shown DF% to be equal on all sides. In the
Canadian climate, where the sun is predominantly from
the south, I would assume the North DF% should be
notable lower than the South DF% with East and West
being close to equal. Has anyone had a similar
experience? An Ecotect model confirms my instincts.

Regards,
Caroline

=====
t.    519.822.3832