[bldg-sim] Multiple windows for DF% calculation in Energy-10

Rob Hitchcock RJHitchcock at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 12 14:43:14 PDT 2004

Caroline,

A description of the method used by the Daylighting EES Apply is given
in the Energy-10 Help under the Daylighting section.  You should pay
particular attention to the "Lighting Zone Default Geometry" section,
which describes how this Apply method establishes a small daylighting
zone module on each orientation that is used to calculate daylight
factors for each orientation.  This means that only those apertures that
are part of a daylighting zone module will affect the daylight factors
for that orientation.  Changing the glazing type in other apertures on
the orientation will not change the daylight factors within the
established daylighting zone, but WILL change the overall thermal
gains/losses within the building.  This will result in a mis-match
between the daylighting and thermal calculation results.

The Apply should only be used for building geometries that have been
created by the default building generator.  This is not a suitable
approach for the type of daylighting specific studies you are attempting
to undertake.  You should manually input your own daylighting zones for
buildings that are different from the default building, and for
buildings in which you want to use different glazing types on the facade
of each orientation.

Rob Hitchcock