[BLDG-SIM] Energy-10: Material reflectance

Mike Roberts mroberts20 at kc.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 09:29:10 PDT 2004

Caroline,

I am not familiar with Energy 10, but from the questions you are asking, it
sounds like Energy 10s daylighting algorithm is very simplified.  A quick
look at the Energy 10 web site did nothing to change that opinion.

Most of my simulation experience is with DOE-2.1E and eQUEST/DOE-2.2.  Both
of those programs allow simple daylighting simulation.  These programs have
geometric input, inside walls, ceilings, etc., with adjustable reflectance,
multiple and variable windows, and sensor location.  Their algorithm does
reasonable calculations for direct daylighting including interior
reflectance.  They are probably not suitable for more complicated
daylighting, such as: light shelves, pipes, or any multiple bounces before
the daylight gets to its intended location.

If you do not get a better answer than mine, I entered lighting simulation
on Google and got some good hits.  Good luck!

Mike