[BLDG-SIM] eQUEST/economizer

Pat Bailey pbailey at geopraxis.com
Wed Apr 28 14:21:21 PDT 2004

David,

We've run into this as well.  One issue that is relatively common with
simulated VAV systems is that the economizer operation and the VAV box
operation can be completely independent of each other, even if you don't
want them to be.  This may or might not be an issue in an actual system
depending on how the controls are configured.  Even if the design flow of
outside air is sufficient to cool a zone, the reduced flow at some level of
VAV turndown may not be sufficient.  For this reason, there are hours of the
year (typically cooler periods) when a constant volume unit may show less
simulated cooling energy.

One solution to this is to schedule increased levels of outside air during
cooler months, perhaps in the morning.  The solution depends on when the
cooling load is not being met by outside air alone.

You can also set the priorities of air flow and temperature reset.  Varying
these will impact the trade off between fan energy and cooling energy.

Good luck.

Pat Bailey, P.E.
Principal
GeoPraxis, Inc