[BLDG-SIM] Steam-Turbine Drive Centrigugal LiquidChillers

Varkie Thomas Varkie.Thomas at som.com
Fri Oct 1 14:58:40 PDT 2004

Thanks for all the responses.  I think that the energy code is the only
building code that is dependent on computer software to show compliance
when submitting construction documents.  It is too early for measurement
& verification.  I am not if the software available today is ready for
this.  Are we allowed to use the program that produces the most energy
savings if these programs show different results?  How about energy
savings by inadvertently entering the wrong input assuming that nobody
is checking the input in detail?

I have used the DOE2.1E program to show energy savings for
occupancy-based ventilation, occupancy-based lighting, under-floor air
distribution, light shelves etc. by making assumptions and adjustments
within the DOE2 program input.  For example without light shelves the
light sensor is located 5' and 10' from the window for a perimeter space
depth of 15' and with light shelves the same light sensor locations
apply to a 20' perimeter depth.  Occupancy based lighting is modeled by
reducing the prototype building lighting profile values by 20% based on
10CFR435.  Occupancy based ventilation is modeled by applying an outdoor
air ventilation profile to the system that is the design OA fraction
times the occupancy profile from loads.  Displacement ventilation is
modeled by adjusting the design space temperature - the supply air has
to maintain the summer and winter space temperatures up to 7' above the
floor and the rest of the space volume up to the ceiling is not at
design conditions.  The space temperature is the weighted average of the
lower and upper volumes of the space which means that DV saves energy
with increasing ceiling heights.  Energy savings from PV panels is based
on the total annual energy on the net PV area times the percent energy
converted as claimed by the PV manufacturer (9% to 15%).  These are just
some examples

LEED and Code authorities should describe standard procedures for
different types of energy saving options so that we are all on the same
playing field.  Is there an acceptable procedure for showing energy cost
savings using steam-turbine centrifugal chillers for the ECB method?

Varkie Thomas