[BLDG-SIM] Steam-Turbine Drive Centrigugal LiquidChillers

stvgates at pacbell.net stvgates at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 1 13:25:29 PDT 2004

specific energie in office buildingsI want to correct some of the information I just put out there regarding steam-turbine driven chillers.

At 150 psig, the steam temperature is about 350F, which corresponds to a maximum thermodynamic turbine efficiency of about 30%; mechanical efficiency would lower this.  And the steam turbines used in chillers have better unloading characteristics than the turbines I looked at a long time ago.  The net effect is that a steam-turbine chiller can have about the same full load efficiency as a 2-stage absorption chiller.

A useful article can be found at http://www.york.com/products/esg/YorkEngDocs/964.pdf