[BLDG-SIM] metal bracing in wood construction

Ian Doebber idoebber at vt.edu
Wed Sep 1 15:58:56 PDT 2004

Several scientists at Oak Ridge National Lab worked with Enermodal to create
ASHRAE Technical Committee 4.7 "Energy Calculations" Report 1145 entitled
"Modeling 2 and 3 Dimensional Heat Transfer through Composite Wall and Roof
Assemblies in Hourly Energy Simulation Programs".  It essentially covers the
"Equivalent Wall Method" to analyze the steady state performance (R-value)
and transient performance of a wall system and accurately model it in say
DOE2.1 or Energy Plus which are limited by their one dimensional conduction
analysis for the building envelope.  If you are just interested in how the
metal bracing decreases the R-value, I would recommend "Thermal Breaking
Systems for Metal Stud Walls - Can Metal Stud Walls Perform as Well as Wood
Stud Walls" by some of the same researchers who worked with Energy Model on
the 1145 report mentioned above (Jan Kosny Jeffrey Christian Andre
Desjarlais)  This report covers the effect of using metal studs mainly in
residential applications but concepts can be applied to other applications
as well.  Both these publications use a Finite Difference program called
"Heating" which is very simple but robust to conduct heat transfer
calculations for pretty intricate wall assemblies.  It does both steady
state and transient analyses.  Hope this helps

Ian Doebber
Virginia Tech
Graduate Student