[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1 and Energy Cost Budget Method budget building

Sheila Sagerer sagerer at paonline.com
Tue Aug 16 06:07:41 PDT 2005

Good morning Brian-

This may or may not help but here is how we have interpreted the standard:

In ASHRAE 90.1-1999, each chapter has a *.2 section which is the mandatory
provision (i.e. 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2, 9.2, 10.2) and is not available for
tradeoff in the ECB method.

Likewise, the *.3 sections are the prescriptive paths for compliance
available for tradeoff, but only seen in chapters 5, 6, 7 and 9.  They don't
exist for chapters 8 or 10.  Two of these sections (5.3 and 6.3) are not
specifically labeled "prescriptive" in the ECB text of ASHRAE 90.1-199, but
they are addressed.  For instance, section 5.3 is the reference in Section
11.4.2 (a) that determines the minimum U-factors for the budget building -
the prescriptive path for building envelopes although not explicitly stated
as such in chapter 11.

Section 6.3 is referenced in 11.4.3 (d, e, f, and i) as well as Notes 1, 2,
4, 5, and 6 for Table 11.4.3A.  These sections cover at least half of the
prescriptive path for the HVAC systems.  If half of them are referenced, we
automatically follow the other half when those components are in the
building.

The 7.3 prescriptive path for water heating that also includes space heating
is very rarely implemented in the type of projects that we work on and
really only states the conditions that are appropriate for use of a space
and water heating combo unit.

Section 9.3 isn't specifically mentioned in the ECB method text.  However,
since the 9.2 mandatory provisions do not address maximum lighting power
density allowed, we HAVE to go to 9.3 if we want to take an energy credit
for reduced lighting power density.

As energy modelers, I think we tend to automatically and indirectly use the
prescriptive paths, sometimes without realizing it, in order to get credit
for ALL the energy efficiency measures in any building we are working on.

I hope this helps clarify things.  Have a nice day.

Sheila Sagerer
Energy Engineer, LEED AP
Energy Opportunities, Inc
Ph: 717-880-9069