[bldg-sim] eQuest 3.52

Sheila Sagerer sagerer at paonline.com
Mon Jan 3 07:06:07 PST 2005

Hi Christine,

The HVAC system fan is controlled by the fan schedule which you have to
create (or you can use a default from the library).  The schedule is an
on/off or on/off/flag type schedule.  A "1" in the schedule means the fan is
"on" - I use this when the building is occupied -, a "0" means the fan is
off but can cycle on if there is a call for heating or cooling, a flag of
"-999" is used to define an optimum start period.  We usually use the OA
minimum schedule to control the ventilation air and economizer use for each
AHU.  You may want to check the help screens at both the thermal zone level
AND the system level.  These help screens give information on the order of
preference that the program uses if data is entered at more than one level
to control ventilation.  The help screen for the min OA air schedule also
gives good info on several ways to control the ventilation air at the system
level.

Two things I use to control and/or eliminate heating during the summer
months are the "Heat Availability" and Space "Heating Temperature"
Schedules.  In the space temperature schedule, I specify that thermostat
setpoint is 55F from say May through Sept - this will change per type of
building and where it is located at.  Then in the availability schedule I
say that heat is only if the OD temp is below say 65F during fall and spring
months, heat is always available in the winter months and never available
during the summer.  If you want reheat available during the warmer months,
just set heat always available and just use the temperature schedule to
limit the heating energy use just to reheat coils.

As for infiltration, I find it easier to set the infiltration to ACH (air
changes/hour) and use the schedule to determine when infiltration applies.
Generally, we have infiltration on the perimeter of the building only and
even then only during unoccupied periods when the fan is scheduled off.  We
assume that if the fan is on, then the building is pressurized and
infiltration is limited.

CHECK the help screens for each schedule that you use.  The help screens
have useful info that tells the type needed for that particular application
as well as some examples and cautions.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your last question since I usually use the
Design Development wizard.

I hope this helps.

Sheila Sagerer
Energy Engineer