[bldg-sim] DOE2.1E - PVAVS main heating coil

Chris Jones cj at cr-jay.ca
Fri Jan 14 10:08:42 PST 2005

This is one of my favorite peeves with DOE2.1E.  in a VAVS or PVAVS the
heating coil does not work if you specify COOL-CONTROL = WARMEST.  In
practice an actual VAV system with a heating coil will maintain the minimum
supply T.  This is not a problem in California where the code for the
systems portion of DOE2.1E was developed.  If you set COOL-CONTROL =
CONSTANT or COOL-CONTROL = RESET and define an outdoor temperature reset
schedule then the heating coil works as expected.  I have not been able to
convince anyone to fix the code for COOL-CONTROL = WARMEST and I have been
trying for a number of years.

The work around is to define a PREHEAT-T at a couple of degrees below the
MIN-SUPPLY-T.  There tends to be more heating and cooling with this work
around than you would expect but it is better than using COOL-CONTROL =
CONSTANT.

I wonder if this problem has been fixed in DOE2.2?

>In modeling a PVAVS system in DOE2.1E, I can't get the main heating coil to
>be recognized. I have entered a "HEAT-SET-T" (greater than the
>"MIN-SUPPLY-T") in "system control" and specified the heating coil capacity,
>however, the only heating I'm getting is from the baseboards. I've worked
>around this problem before by distributing my main coil capacity into the
>preheat, reheat and/or baseboard. Any opinions on the best work-around for
>this problem?
>
>James Campbell CEM, BEP
>Geo-Marine Inc.

Chris Jones, P.Eng.