[bldg-sim] Fan energy and cooling energy for VAV system

Martin YIP yipch at emsd.gov.hk
Thu Nov 17 22:38:08 PST 2005

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I am using eQuest to model an existing office zone with VAV system and
have performed a parametric run with different shading coefficient for
the glazing.  My problem is the large inconsistency when I model the
case with the VAV supply air fan design CFM defined and when I model the
case with the VAV supply air fan design CFM not defined.  For the run
that have the design flow rate defined, the fan energy (SS-L report) and
cooling energy (SS-A report) of the VAV system stays relatively constant
for different parametric scenario.  However, when the supply flow rate
is not defined, the fan energy and cooling energy varies significantly
with different parametric scenario (in which I think it is more
reasonable).  Does anyone have similar experience or comments on the
case.

Regards
Martin YIP