[bldg-sim] energy use in buildings

Grant Unsworth gunsworth at mcw.com
Thu Oct 6 06:52:26 PDT 2005

Alpana,

I just finished modeling 4 temporary-trailer type buildings, all in the
same project. Each trailer had an identical setup in the wizard, the
only difference was their orientation on the land. When I clicked
finish, I went into the zone-level lighting spreadsheet. The Watts Per
Square Foot values for the buildings were: 1.42, 1.42, 1.42, 1.33.

Four identical buildings, yet eQuest created different default lighting
values. This tells me that eQuest took into account the orientation of
the trailer in generating these values (3 bldgs were oriented North, 1
bldg was oriented East).

To draw from this... My guess is that although you entered similar
parameters for each building, eQuest has generated default assumptions
that are causing the descrepency.

 - Grant