[bldg-sim] Modelling Pool Areas with eQuest & DOE

Shaun Martin shaunmartin at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 30 09:42:27 PDT 2005

Hi Grant,

As Jeff says, this is tricky. There seems to be three approaches I've seen
discussed,

1. you can't do it, don't try
2. DOE2 functions
3. schedules

I can't speak to the function approach, which I know others have tried, but
I've had some good success matching billing histories with the schedule
approach. It's a lot of spreadsheet work, but the evaporation can be
calculated and entered as a process load. Conduction can be handled by
creating a dummy zone at the pool temperature. If the pool room temperature
is kept above the pool water temperture, convection and radiation are
relatively minor.

Indoor pools are generally kept at one temperature, and the pool room is
usually a degree or two higher than the main pool temperature.  "the
temperature of the water moderates the air temperature of the zone" which
"affects the load on the HVAC system". Yes, but controls ensure the pool
room temperature remains relatively constant. Humidity control is available
to a PSZ system.

DOE2.2 does not currently model water-water heat exchangers, so you have to
fool around with primary-secondary loops.

A good reference is TRNSYS 144.

Hope this helps,

Shaun Martin
Principal