[bldg-sim] Apache uni-dimensional heat transfer assumption

Graham & Megan hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 16 16:09:53 PDT 2005

You may find LBNL's Therm program to be of some use to understand how
U-Values may change under the influence of 2D flow compared to 1D.  Last
time I used Therm it was steady state thus no ability to account for the
transient dynamics through a thermally massive wall.  Nevertheless you may
find it useful to understand how an extended external surface area may
impact the internal heat transfer and thus effective U-Value - you could
work out your modified extrnal heat transfer coefficient from this.

With regard to some other comments made in this thread, while I cannot speak
definitively, it is my understanding that TAS and Apache handle
inter-surface radiant heat transfer very similarly and that true view
factors are not calculated.  Not having the technical manuals in front of me
I cannot comment further.  The approximations are good for square boxes and
increasingly poor with more complex and non-symmetric geometries.  If my
memory serves me correctly Energy+ also doesn't attempt to calculate view
factors precisely and also uses an approximation.

It would be worth someone clarifying this to avoid mis-information.

Regards,
Graham