[bldg-sim] Apache uni-dimensional heat transfer assumption

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 07:30:27 PDT 2005

Christopher is correct that most simulation tools default to 1D
conduction. There is, however, the option to turn on 2D and
3D conduction within a model in ESP-r. When this has been used it
has tended to be in the context of external thermal bridges,
but the concept should be applicable to internal portions
of a building (although I know of no one who has reported
trying that).

It should be noted that 3D conduction implies
additional descriptive detail. Also, such
facilities are typically geared for research use.

-Jon Hand