[bldg-sim] Modeling buildings with natural ventilation for Appendix G

Ramana Koti ramana.koti at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:53:18 PST 2006

Dear all,

Is ignoring natural ventilation in both proposed and baseline designs an
accepted/fair way of modeling based on Appendix G (ASHRAE 90.1-2004)?

Part of the proposed design has (radiant heating + natural ventilation) with
no cooling which was modeled as a radiant slab, no cooling, natural
ventilation ignored.

But the Baseline HVAC system based on Appendix G is System 5: Packaged VAV
w/Reheat. (Natural ventilation can be modeled based on Air Change method or
Sherman Grimsrud method though I do not know how to do it).

I cannot decide how to make the baseline and proposed comparable with
respect to Natural Ventilation (in a manner acceptable to LEED review),
suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ramana Koti, Sustainable Building Analyst
LEED AP

ELEMENTS | a division of berkebile nelson immenschuh mcdowell architects
106 W. 14th Street Suite 200
Kansas City, Missouri 64105

p 816.783.1635 f 816.783.1501
www.bnim.com| elements.bnim.com