[BLDG-SIM] Modeling buildings with natural ventilation for Appendix G

gail gail22 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 14:22:15 PST 2006

Hi Ramana,

The ASHRAE Appendix G modeling protocol requires that both heating and
cooling be modeled for the entire building in both the Baseline and Proposed
design, even if no heating or cooling is included in the actual design (see
Appendix G, TableG3.1.10 (Proposed)).

According to Table G3.1.4 (Proposed), you may model the indoor fans in the
Proposed Design as cycling to show some benefit from natural ventilation,
while your budget case fans would be modeled as continuous during occupied
hours.  As far as I can tell, this is the only thing you can do to reflect
any energy savings from natural ventilation using the Appendix G modeling
methodology.

Best Regards,
Gail Stranske
CTG Energetics, Inc.