[bldg-sim] Current state of software for natural ventilation

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Fri Jan 20 18:06:42 PST 2006

DesignBuilder, a full-featured GUI for EnergyPlus
was released earlier this week.  It can handle
the natural ventilation (COMIS) parts of EnergyPlus.
www.DesignBuilder.co.uk

Mixed mode ventilation is planned for the April
release of EnergyPlus.

                      "Matt Gangemi"
                      <mgangemi at WoodHarbi      To: bldg-sim at gard.com
                      nger.com>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [bldg-sim] Current state of software for natural
                      bldg-sim at gard.com           ventilation

                      01/20/2006 07:49 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mgangemi

I'm interested in finding good software to use in designing for natural
ventilation.  By "good" I mean providing results accurate enough to use in
constructing functional buildings, while being minimally complex or
difficult to use (and yes, I'm aware that even the minima of this group
could suck up weeks/months of time) and yet still affordable.  I've
searched the archives for a good discussion regarding natural ventilation,
and although I found a good thread (
http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/msg01276.html), it's a few years
old.

What software is preferred?  Has anyone here tried the COMIS capabilities
of EnergyPlus?  Is there a good interface to EnergyPlus yet?  (last time I
simulated a model was a few years ago, and I more or less worked with text
files)  Is combining ESP-r with a CFD model still the best solution, or is
there a better way?

 Thank you,

-Matt Gangemi, P.E.

 Wood/Harbinger, Inc.