[BLDG-SIM] Lab system in ECB & LEED

Eric Yang Eric.Yang at smithgroup.com
Thu Jun 8 07:33:49 PDT 2006

Greetings

We have a project going for LEED certification EA1.  The building has
20% classroom space, 20% office space and 60% chemical lab space.  The
system has 100% OA because of the lab system.

According to the ASHRAE 90.1 user guide, the minimum ventilation rates
designed for the proposed building must also be modeled in the budget
building design. Ventilation is energy neutral as far as trade-offs are
concerned.

Since the heating and cooling load between proposed and budget building
is different, the calculated air flow of budget design is larger than
the proposed design. It means the outside air is also larger than the
proposed design.  My question here is how to have the same minimum
ventilation rates and keep it "energy neutral"?

This question is more about the LEED certification and if anyone has any
suggestions and recommendations, please let me know.

Many thanks.

Eric

Eric Yang, LEED AP

Mechanical Engineer