[bldg-sim] Simulation of Production Halls

John Olson johnaugustolson at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 04:22:15 PDT 2006

Greetings Group,

I am a graduate student studying building service technology at the
University of Applied Sciences in Munich, Germany. I am attempting to
compare various indirect evaporative cooling systems in a large production
hall with displacement ventilation. Because the secondary air flow is (in
some configurations) extracted near the ceiling, I expect the effects of
stratification to be significant. Does anyone have experience defining such
a space or know of existing literature which might be of help?

The possible solutions I see are: coupling air flow with multiple zones
(stacked), defination of plenum space or multiple nodes in a single zone.
Each possibility seems feasible, but I lack the experience to know which
assumptions are necessary to obtain realistic results. The simulation should
be on (at least) an hourly basis.

I am aware that this topic is not particularly new and have seen multiple
similar inquiries, but have not yet found a satisfying solution.

I have access to both TRNSYS and EPlus. The results of the simulations are
to be included in my Masters Thesis, in which I will compare
investment/operating costs of various industrial hvac solutions for
production facilities.

Any English or German language responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John Olson