[BLDG-SIM] [EnergyPlus_Support] Global horizontal solar radiation

Jeff Hirsch Jeff.Hirsch at DOE2.com
Thu Mar 16 14:43:48 PST 2006

First, the ASHRAE license states:

"ADDITIONAL LICENSE CONDITIONS: This Product is also intended for use in
software or other programmed information. You may embed some or all of the
program and data contained within in another work for personal use without
written permission of ASHRAE. "

meaning, I my opinion (for what that might be worth, which may be nothing if you like)
any persoanl use of the data is explicitly allowed without further permission.

Second, only an "original work of authorship" can be protected by US and international
copyright law; weather data, by its very nature, is not an "original work of authorship",
so the underlying data cannot be a subject of copyright ... a work incorporating the
weather data can be a copyrighted work, but the weather data portion (which was
not an orginal work of authorship) cannot be protected by such a copyright.  Thus
the FORMAT of a data base is protected by copyright, but the data is not protected
by copyright.

On the other hand, I guess God could file a copyright on weather data by claiming
authorship ... perhaps our President could ask about this possibility during one of
his future conversations ... then, perhaps, DOE could hold the copyright for the
weather creator.

---
Jeff Hirsch
James J. Hirsch & Associates
Building Performance Analysis Software & Consulting
12185 Presilla Road
Camarillo, CA 93012-9243 USA
phone: (805) 553-9000
fax: (805) 532-2401