[BLDG-SIM] Water-to-Air Heat Pumps in eQuest

Xiaobing Liu XLiu at climatemaster.com
Tue Nov 7 14:38:05 PST 2006

Paul:

In the latest release of eQUESt (3.6), you can select heat pump source from either air, water-loop, or ground-loop in the wizard mode, if both the cooling and heating equipments are specified as DX coil. In the schematic design wizard, these input entries are accessible from the first screen; in the design development wizard, these input entries are accessible from the first screen after you select "Edit Selected Air-Side System".

If the heat pump source is selected as ground loop, a dedicated wizard screen for specifying (vertical) close-loop heat exchanger (VGLHE) will be accessible. Parameters associated with VGLHE are categorized into four sections in this screen.  The first section is for specifying parameters of circulation loop connected to VGLHE, including pump configuration, flow control, design loop temperature, etc. The second section is for specifying ground and grout thermal properties as well as years of previous operation of the VGLHE. Thermal conductivity and diffusivity of various type of soil/rock and thermal conductivity of various commonly used grouting materials are provided in build-in databases. Users can either select rock/soil and grout type from the databases or input the thermal properties directly. The third section is for specifying parameters of boreholes, including VGLHE type, configuration, geometry, pipe material and size. Up to 42 different vertical VGLHE configurations are available, including boreholes in a straight line, in the form of L- or U-shaped lines, and as open or filled rectangles. The fourth section is for specifying properties of the fluid circulating though VGLHE. In addition to pure water, aqueous solutions with different concentration of antifreezes can be selected. Detailed on-line help, databases, and design tips for each of the required parameters can be accessed directly from this screen.

More detailed information about the newly enhanced water-loop and ground-loop simulation capability can be found in the DOE-2.2 manual volume 6: New Features (http://doe2.com/download/DOE-22/DOE22Vol6-NewFeatures.pdf)

Hope it helps,

Xiaobing