[BLDG-SIM] Cold Storage Facility / LEED

Alec Stevens astevens at dmiinc.com
Wed Dec 5 05:07:21 PST 2007

Hi,
I've been asked to provide LEED energy modeling services for a refrigerated warehouse.  90% of the space in the building will be a -15F freezer space, with the remainder a small office area.

Under Appendix G, am I correct in interpreting that the unregulated process loads (i.e. refrigeration equipment) would need to be the same in the base case and proposed case models?  If so, how would you account for any improvements to the performance of the refrigeration system under EACR1?

If we cannot take credit for process performance improvements, I am not sure how we would manage to capture the pre-requisite 2 points under EACR1.

Also, would we be required to model the building using eQuest-R instead of the temperature bin spreadsheet models we usually use for refrigeration systems?  I've never found the eQuest-R package to be that adept at modeling refrigeration systems, although I haven't looked at it in a while.  Have there been any recent improvements to its capabilities?

Thanks for any sage advice as to how this type of project has been successfully handled in the past.

Sincerely,
Alec Stevens, PE, LEED AP
DMI

35 Walnut Street, Wellesley, MA 02481