[BLDG-SIM] DOE2.2 - Modeling "Fins" on Buildings

Lynn Qualmann LQualmann at sbwConsulting.com
Mon Feb 19 17:17:41 PST 2007

I am modeling a proposed building with rectangular concrete pillars that
thermally bridge the building shell with neither interior nor exterior
insulation. The exterior portion of the pillars extend about 1.5' beyond
the building's skin and are 1.5' wide. There are enough of them that
they shouldn't be ignored, but I haven't found any good references on
how to model them. I am assuming either an adjustment to the exposed
area of the pillar or an adjustment to the material characteristics is
in order. I don't want to make this into a research project, so I'm
wondering if there are any good rules of thumb out there. Anyone?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

R. Lynn Qualmann, P.E.
SBW Consulting, Inc.
2820 Northup Way    #230
Bellevue,  WA      98004
Phone:      (425) 827-0330
Fax:          (425) 822-8119
e-mail:       rlq at sbwconsulting.com

****E-Mail Disclaimer****  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender at once.  Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. SBW Consulting.