[bldg-sim] steam meters in eQuest

Vicki Lynne avn8166 at blackfoot.net
Thu Feb 1 11:58:10 PST 2007

Hello - I'm relatively new to eQuest (though have used other modeling
software extensively) and I'm modeling a building on a campus with a central
steam plant.  The building is billed for steam use based on gallons of
condensate returned.  The building has steam-hot water heat exchangers for
the MZ air handling units and the DHW system.  It also has an absorption
chiller on the steam loop.  There is no natural gas use in the building.  I
set up steam meters in the loops for these "end uses" but I'm running into
problems.  I searched the archives and found a couple questions posted in
past years about steam meters but didn't really find the answers I need.

1) I can't directly model the DHW w/steam so apparently I have to model it
as natural gas?  Or can I model it as a direct load in the steam meter
properties - direct load screen?

2) No steam use is showing up when I run the simulation.  I went into the
Master Meter screen and it only allows (apparently) electric and fuel
meters.  Under fuel meters, there is not a steam option, unless one is
supposed to select "other".  Does the Master meter need to know about the
steam meters?  And if so, how do I tell it?  Is there something else
entirely that I should be doing that I'm missing?  (Since eQuest's help
screen is a DOE2 help screen, I'm not having much luck with understanding
how it applies to eQuest in this case.)

Vicki Lynne, PE

National Center for Appropriate Technology

Butte, MT