[bldg-sim] steam meters in eQuest

Mark Nieman MARKN at McKinstry.com
Fri Feb 2 13:09:09 PST 2007

Here's one way that will work using steam meters. Set up equipment in
the Wizard using a typical water cooled chiller and natural gas boilers.
Then switch to "Detailed Data Edit" under the "Mode" menu.

1. Go to the Water-Side HVAC button that shows the water loop diagrams.
In the left panel Component Tree, right-click on the project title at
the top and select "Create Steam Meter..." Name your meter and create
from scratch. Attach it to your DHW loop. Edit as needed. Next, select
the DHW boiler and right click it in the Component Tree, select "Delete"
and erase the boiler from the DHW loop. Do the same process for your
building hot water loop.

2. Create an absorption chiller hot water loop by right-clicking on the
project name at the top of the Component Tree. Name the loop, create
from scratch and set loop type to hot water. Set your HW temp to 230F or
whatever is appropriate for your steam pressure going to the chiller
(steam is not explicitly modeled in eQUEST). Assign a new steam meter to
that loop like in item 1 above.

3. Create a new steam meter for the building hot water loop.

4. Double-click on your chiller and change it to an absorption chiller
(1 or 2 stage) and assign it to your chilled water, condenser and
absorption hw loops.

5. Next, click the Utility & Economics button and create a new Utility
Rate. Name it, create from scratch and set the type to Steam. Assign
your three new steam meters to the rate under "Steam Meters Served" in
the General tab. Assign a Uniform Energy Charge if appropriate under the
Energy/Demand tab. You'll have to calc what the effective $/unit is
based on the condensate billing. Remember this is calculated based on
steam, not condensate, so you'll have to factor in losses.

The PS-B report is a good summary of each electric and steam meter.
Total steam use will be summarized in the PS-E report for all steam
meters added together and PS-F shows each meter separately.

Mark Nieman, PE, CEM
Sr. Energy Engineer
McKinstry Essention
Direct: (206) 832-8152