[BLDG-SIM] central heat pumps and circulation loops

Aleka Pappas apappas.enermodal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:54:57 PDT 2007

Hi all,
I'm trying to model a central ground water source heat pump serving hot &
cold water loops for a radiant heating & cooling system in eQuest.  The 110
F hot water loop from the heat pump (loop to loop HP type chiller) serves
the radiant system directly, and has a secondary loop with a boiler attached
to it to bring the temperature up from 110 F to 180 F to serve some fan coil
units.
I'm having a hard time configuring the loops and plant equipment to even
approximate this system.  Has anyone tried to model something like this in
eQuest?  From what I understanding, you can't put a boiler on a secondary
loop, and I'm hitting a wall with that.  If I put the boiler and the HP on
the same primary loop, I get errors that tell me 180 F is too high a
temperature for a GSHP water loop.  The closest I seem to be able to get is
to model the system with two separate HW loops - one for the fan coils with
only a boiler and one for the radiant system with the HP.  But, then I can't
use the heat pump to preheat for the FCU loop with this model.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Aleka