[BLDG-SIM] Huge heating demand

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Fri Jun 22 09:26:57 PDT 2007

I'm not sure that's unreasonable - especially for a building of that
size (210 ft2) - the skin loads are pretty significant. There also seems
to be a large glazing area. Looking at weather charts for London, the
summers are really mild (highs in the upper 70s is a non existent summer
for a lot of places), so for a skin dominated building, your loads
wouldn't be that high. The winters are pretty cold though.

I guess it depends on how you modeled your internal heat gain (lights,
equipment, people) , outside air changes and infiltration rates. If you
are trying to model a small room in a larger building, then you might
want to make sure you have the internal walls modeled adiabatically (or
some other appropriate way). Looking at the balance point temperature
would also be a good gut check.

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
1201 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30361
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
www.lordaecksargent.com

Please don't print this email unless you really have to.
In the United States, we use enough office paper each year to build a
10-foot high wall that's 6,815 miles long or two and a half times the
distance from New York to Los Angeles.

~ Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, "Recycling Facts and
Figures," PUBL CE-163, 2002.