[BLDG-SIM] Blind control in eQuest

Dana Troy DTroy at glumac.com
Wed Jun 20 09:16:30 PDT 2007

Some of this information you will need to obtain from the manufacturer of the blinds to be installed in the building.

*	The shading schedule is a multiplier value that effectively reduces the shading coefficient of the window depending on the time of day
*	The maximum solar sch determines when the shade will close based on solar gain. When the solar gain reaches the value in the schedule for that hour, it will close the blind
*	The sun control probability is the likelihood of someone actually closing the blinds when the "triggers" go off. This should never be "1" unless they are automatic blinds with sensors in them. People are not in their office 100 percent of the time and different HVAC systems may cause some people to leave blinds open or close them too soon.
*	The open shade sch is the likelihood of someone opening the blinds when the triggers are reset. Some people might close a blind, turn on the light in their office, then forget to open the blind, even if the sun is on the other side of the building. This again should never be 1 unless there are sensors.
*	Conductance minimum T sch lowers the blinds if the outside air dry bulb temp is below the stated threshold value.
*	Solar Transmittance is used for daylighting, which says how much light is penetrating the blinds. This is determined by the manufacturer of the blinds in the building.

You will have to create some of your own schedules for this, but remember, you have to make a DAY schedule first, then a WEEK schedule, and then an ANNUAL schedule, all with the same name, but with DAY, WEEK, or ANNUAL before it. This helps with continuity and avoids confusion.

I have used shading on a couple of buildings, and both have shown little savings.

Hope this helps,

Dana Troy
Energy Analyst

 <http://www.glumac.com/>