[BLDG-SIM] Infiltration rate in ASHRAE 90.1-2004

Liu, Bing Bing.Liu at pnl.gov
Wed Jun 13 08:52:19 PDT 2007

Tianzhen,

ASHRAE 90.1-2004 doesn't address the infiltration rate in terms of
infiltration rate per square foot of exterior wall area.  The default
value of 0.038 cfm/sf of exterior wall area in eQUEST may be derived
from the old ASHRAE Standard 1989 version.  It is always a challenge to
define the infiltration rate in the commercial buildings.  It is worthy
to read a field test report by NIST, titled as Analysis of Ventilation
Data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Building Assessment
Survey and Evaluation (BASE) Study.  Here is the link to this report:
http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/build04/PDF/b04043.pdf

PNNL's Technical Support Document for the Development of the Advanced
Energy Design Guides also documented the infiltration rate assumptions
for both the baseline building (900.1-1999 version) and the advanced
cases.
http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-160
31.pdf
http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-162