[BLDG-SIM] Infiltration rate in ASHRAE 90.1-2004

Larry Degelman ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Wed Jun 13 06:37:17 PDT 2007

David,

It's possible that the sources you referenced are looking at two
different situations.  The ASHRAE section 5.4.3.2 addresses only
fenestration and door products, whereas the eQuest defaults are probably
for the entire wall.  A standard sheet-rocked walls air permeance rate
is around 0.004 cfm/s.f., while the Section 5.4.3.2 rate for
fenestration products is 0.4 cfm/s.f. (100 times greater.)  It would
make sense that the entire wall (after average weighting these surfaces)
might be around 0.04 cfm/s.f.  I don't believe that ASHRAE 90.1
addresses the entire wall infiltration rate (just joint sealing and
fenestration products.)

LOD
Larry O. Degelman, P.E.          <mailto:ldegelman at suddenlink.net>
ldegelman at suddenlink.net
Professor Emeritus of Architecture     1-979-696-2506
Texas A&M University