[BLDG-SIM] Odd results when using Natural Ventilation

Ian Doebber Ian.Doebber at arup.com
Fri Mar 16 18:15:33 PDT 2007

I have a naturally ventilated office and am using the Sherman Grimsrud method.  Even when I specify  a Vent Area Fraction of 0.01 and a max ACH of 0.01 still get enough air flow such that during the hottest hour of the year in Seattle which is  98°F, the inside temperature only peaks at 99°F which is impossible since there is considerable amounts of glass and internal heat gain.  With these inputs there should be no ventilation and I should be getting extremely hot temperatures.

Then again, looking at the summer design day which is specified as a 82°F and 18°F range and the indoor conditions are shown below.  Why is the design day which has a relative low max temperature predicting so much hotter indoor temperatures that make sense compared to those from the annual simulation.

110.9

111

111

111.1