[BLDG-SIM] IES <VE> vs DesignBuilder

Josh K jeemang at gmail.com
Wed May 16 12:58:24 PDT 2007

I work for an architectural firm that hired me to gain building energy
modeling capabilities. As they've never done this before, the first order of
business is selecting an application to carry out said building energy
modeling.

Taking a preliminary survey of the available applications and comparing them
with our criteria yielded two "finalists":  DesignBuilder and the IES <VE>.
I've been demoing each of them for a little while and reading the
documentation, and although I've definitely been able to identify some pros
and cons for each, I feel I lack the experience/knowledge to make a
definitive decision.

If anyone uses or has used either of these programs, has any opinion of
them, or has even heard rumours about them circulating about the grape vine,
any insights they could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Kjenner, EIT
Manasc Isaac Architects Ltd.