[BLDG-SIM] On-site U-value measurement

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
Wed May 9 15:05:59 PDT 2007

Radiation on the inner side of the wall is more than 50% of the overall heat
transfer, so it certainly can not be ignored.  It can be reasonably
estimated by using standard black body radiation equation, but it can not be
ignored.  Also, convective surface heat transfer coefficient of the wall is
not really known.  You would need to know if the air flow is within natural
or forced convection (i.e., measure velocity) to be able to get even close
to the real h.

For in-situ measurement of the U-factor, which is in reality heat flux
through the wall divided by air to air temperature difference:

U = q/(T_air-in - T_air-out)

The best and most reliable approach is direct measurement of q, which can be
accomplished by surface heat flux transducers.  These are available from
Omega and probably some other companies.  Their price is in $300 range.
They connect to standard DAS such as HP 34970A.  One thing to consider is
correction of outside air temperature if there is significant difference
between air temperature and radiation temperature (e.g., night sky
radiation).  There is standard equation for mean radiant temperature
calculation in that case, so T_air-out should be really T_mr_out.

  _____